Sanibel & Captiva Win Awards
"The best islands in the United States, according to Travel + Leisure readers, offer plenty of activities in addition to opportunities for waterfront relaxation."
Located on the Gulf Coast, this island is known for its low-key vibe and beaches with abundant seashells. Many travelers opt to rent a vacation home, but there are also a handful of family-friendly hotels, including the South Seas Island Resort, which offers a marine-life–focused day camp for kids.
Captiva's sister island has equally beautiful beaches, but travelers will also find opportunities for offbeat fun, including the Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum.
Here is the full list:
- Mackinac Island, Michigan
- Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Nantucket, Massachusetts
- San Juan Islands, Washington
- Golden Isles (Jekyll Islands, Little St. Simons Island, Sea Island, St. Simons Island), Georgia
- Outer Banks, North Carolina
- Mount Desert Island, Maine
- Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
- Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
- Amelia Island, Florida
- Florida Keys
- Captiva Island, Florida
- Sanibel Island, Florida
- Block Island, Rhode Island
- Longboat Key, Florida
How many have you visited?